Friday, June 26, 2009

Food Inc.

I went to the movies this afternoon with my good friend Julie to see Food Inc. and I am so happy we did. The film is a documentary about the food industry in the US. As much as I would like to think I know more than the average American about industrialized agricultural processes and factory farms, the film was an eye-opener for me in many ways. Filmmaker Robert Kenner does a great job of investigating some of the biggest issues of the current food system - including the commoditization of animals, the corporate structure of agriculture, and the political aspect of food safety. What was shocking to me is the extent to which corporations have exerted power over the farmers they contract, the fate of seed cleaners and non-contracted farmers, and the control of regulatory bodies such as the FDA. You can learn more about the film and ways you can act at the Food Inc. website

I highly recommend seeing Food Inc. - and if I had my way it would be compulsory for all food-eaters (that means you, dear reader!). We all have a right to be informed about the food we eat, including where it comes from and the conditions from which it arose (especially for any omnivores in the audience). While the trailer below paints a bit of a gloomy picture, the film concludes with an important and optimistic message about the importance of our individual choices at each and every meal. 



Note, Food Inc. is currently showing in independent theaters in Denver (we went to Chez Artist) so you may have to look beyond the main blockbuster listings to find a venue near you. Given the discussion of food, now seems an appropriate time to solicit questions for a post I hope to write in the next few weeks. As many of you may know, I have been vegetarian for about two years now and vegan for the past year and half. Since I get lots of questions about what that means and why I embrace this lifestyle, I'd love to answer any questions you may have. If you'd like to submit a question or concern, just go ahead and leave a comment below this article or shoot me an email and I will address it in the upcoming post. Thank you in advance for your input! 

No comments:

Post a Comment