Saturday, April 4, 2009

Feeling French


The title of this post may not be entirely accurate, seeing as I have never been to France - nor have I so much as known a French person for that matter.  I am, however, in the midst of Sarah Turnbull's book Almost French; a delightful read about her own adventures in the city of love. The book has me wishing I were strolling the halls of the Louvre, stopping at a sidewalk cafe for refreshment, listening to the beautiful French language, and, of course, gushing over Parisian fashion.  Since I'm adoring everything French today, I thought I would indulge my interest by sharing a few of my favorite French finds.




The Artist's Garden at Giverny by Monet found here 

Claude Monet has long been one of my favorite artists.  Best known for his lily pad paintings, Monet is the father of French impressionism.  What I love most about Monet's paintings is the sense of movement they evoke.  The play of light is captivating and makes you feel as if you are there to experience the very moment at which the sun catches the flowers just right. 



Image via Carol's Cafe found here 

While all French pastries deserve mention, French bread in particular is making my stomach growl tonight.  The more layers of hot, crispy crust, the better.  Preferably spread with tangy orange marmalade and washed down with a flute of genuine bubbly from the Champagne region.




Yann Tiersen is a French composer, perhaps most well known for creating the score to the movie Amelie.  I discovered Yann's music just recently and have been listening to his piano, violin, and accordion performances every day since.  His songs are so moving and emotional.


Photo via Jessica Korman found here 

Toile is a French original.  Developed in the town of Jouy centuries ago, this patterned fabric adds a touch of provincial flair to any decor.  The above bedroom in sun-drenched yellow and sky blue has me swooning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment