Saturday, July 18, 2009

Food for Thought, and Your Stomach


After finishing some reading at the park the other day, I noticed an inscription on the plaque below the bench I'd been sitting on. There could not have been a more timely question for my thoughts that evening, and I enjoyed the words so much I had to go snap a photo today to share with you. In case you have trouble seeing it, the plaque reads: What are you most passionate about in your life? How would people know it? 


I made some delicious Spicy Sunflower Seed Dip as a filling afternoon treat today. The dip (pictured in the red bell pepper) is a combination of raw sprouted sunflower seeds, lemon juice, fresh garlic, cayenne pepper, and a little soy sauce for some added punch. It turned out so well - a really healthy alternative to prepackaged dip and super easy to make. All you have to do is soak the sunflower seeds for about 12 hours, then drain the water and allow them to sprout for another 2-4 hours*, and finally blend them with whatever seasonings you like. Next time I might try making a cool version with fresh dill - the perfect compliment for some sliced cucumbers on a hot day.

I served my dip with cucumber slices and purple bell pepper. Yes, PURPLE! Have you tried this before? I'm a big fan of red, yellow, and orange bell peppers but when I saw purple I had to give it a try. It was yummy, nothing crazy different though and unless it was on sale I probably wouldn't go for it again. However, the purple color did make for a gorgeous addition to the spread. Once I'd finished dipping all my veggies I ate the whole red pepper with the remaining dip. Yum! It was the best part.


*In case you're wondering what this soaking and sprouting business is about, it is a great way to get major nutrition out of seeds that are brimming with enzymes and easy to digest. It also makes the seeds easy to blend for a creamier texture. I realize the process may seem a little daunting, but it is worth the wait. Plus, think of all the extra love that went into your meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment