Friday, January 1, 2021

Well, hello old friend!

Look at this little corner of the internet! It still exists! I honestly forgot I had this old blog, and despite the permanence of everything on the web, I thought maybe it would have disappeared. But no - here it is! And no dustier for the negligence, either. 

 As one of many goals for 2021, I have decided to reinvest myself in the practice of creativity. After tossing around a few different iterations of "a resolution", I landed on "Do something creative every day". Writing has always been my favorite way to make something, and I suspect it will be my medium of choice for most days. As such, a place to write was necessary and that's how I ended up back here. Because anonymously putting words out into hyperspace (? I don't know how the internet works) is somehow more motivating than jotting them in a book. And I love the idea that a stranger in Poland might accidentally end up here and read something I wrote. I love reading things strangers write on the internet! I aspire to be among them. 

When I first started this blog, I was living in apartment #303 in on-campus student housing at my alma mater. It was the first and only period of my life that I lived alone. It was wonderful. And terrible. I love to be alone for about 3 hours, and then I start clawing the walls. But #303 was good to me. It had old, avocado green appliances and an adorable little pantry that was always minimally stocked with a confusing assortment of vegan fare... tamari and frosting-less PopTarts (really, what's the point?) and some Australian wine I bought at Target because it felt the height of decadence and adulthood. I distinctly remember keeping a honey bear and frozen, raw cashew halves on hand to make tiny little nut and honey sandwiches to eat as I studied. Now that I'm thinking about it, those really were a good snack. Like a tiny little squirrel-approved Oreo. 
A photo from the original Apartment #303. I had a mattress on the floor and this nightstand I found in the trash... but it was home!

Anyway, after apartment #303 I moved back home with my parents, then in with a boyfriend, then a series of roommates, and then to a shared apartment with the man who would become my husband. My window of solitary living lasted less than a year, but I relished that time. In retrospect, the name of this blog seems fitting. As Virginia Woolf would say, we all need a room of our own. So, welcome to my room. I hope you like it here and enjoy reading some of the things I have to say. Apparently when I stopped writing here (way back in 2012) I thought this blog was about "living beautifully, healthily, and fabulously" and stamped that on upper right-hand corner of the website for all to see. LOL! I don't know much about that now, and I definitely didn't back then. Not really sure what I'll focus on moving forward, so I'll leave the dated info up until something takes shape. 

Aw, this is me! A little baby version back in 2009. I still love riding my bike. 

Perhaps you received this message via email and are thinking, "What the hell is this?" Sorry! At some point, I had subscribers who were 85% obligated family members and 15% supportive internet strangers. There should be a big fat "unsubscribe" button somewhere you can hit if you want out. But if you're even a little happily surprised to see this I hope you'll stick around. I could really use the motivation to get back into the groove of writing regularly. I think any sort of creative outlet is a little like riding a bike... but the bike is now caked in mud and the gears are all jacked up so you might not fall off but getting started again takes way more effort than you remember. So, I'll be here, trying to push through the gunk, and I'd love your company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment