Sunday, January 3, 2021

Not Letting Go

As we bid "Good Riddance" to 2020, there is no denying the allure of what the new year may bring. Vaccine distribution? Yes! Our favorite restaurant reopening for on-site wining and dining? I really hope so. The ability to travel to... well, anywhere? It's hard to even imagine, but maybe! 

This year has been terrible in countless ways and before the ball dropped last Thursday I actively let go of many things. My regrets from the year. Self-criticism for the way I spent (er, wasted) my windfall of free time. Anxiety and lost sleep over all of the unknowns. Sadness for the experiences we didn't get to have. Internalized stress for what loved ones were going through. 

But as with any difficult season, 2020 taught me a great deal. As much as I chose to let go of, there is more still I plan to carry with me. And so, before I head back to work and the year gets rolling in earnest, it seemed a good time to reflect on a few things I wish to take with me from 2020.

Having all the time in the world

I have been fortunate to work from home during the past 9 months. But aside from the 9-5 timeslot on weekdays, my calendar was completely blank. As a person with no children, I had a glut of time on my hands.  The minimal tasks I'd give myself to do - say, cooking dinner - would expand like a sponge into the evening hours. I would take my time arranging all my ingredients on the counter... measuring spices into tiny bowls like I was on a cooking show and slowly and perfectly chopping my vegetables into their desired shape and size. What did I have to rush for? There was no where for me to go and every minute spent in the kitchen was one less minute I'd be sitting up awake worrying about the state of the world. So I took my time. 

Some nights I would even shoo my husband from the kitchen after our meal and insist on doing the dishes. In normal times this was unheard of - he always cleans up and I think we even worked that arrangement into our wedding vows. But these were not normal times, and I was desperate to busy my hands with whatever was available. 

As the world has slowly opened back up, my amount of free time has begun to shrink a bit. As it does, I've notice that the speed at which my mind and body move has quickened. I no longer have all the time in the world. I have... just slightly less than all the time in the world. That change was just enough to trick my brain into thinking I better get a move on. But I'm going to fight back against that change of pace. I liked taking my time cooking in the kitchen. I liked lingering over the meal longer. I also liked not rushing a phone call, playing with the dogs for as long as they wanted, and getting lost on walks because I had no where else to be. In 2021, I hope to continue acting as if I have all the time in the world.

Practicing yoga outside

It was a turning point for my mental health when our local YMCA reopened for socially distanced, outdoor exercise classes. Regardless of the weather, I started going to my favorite teacher's class religiously. Turns out the cold wasn't so bad once we got moving (and I got better at layering up appropriatey). After months spent cooped up in the house, I had a new appreciation for sun salutations in the actual sun. In 2021, I hope to take advantage of more opportunities to practice outside, even if the mercury's low.

Gratitude for my health

I am extremely lucky. There's no other way to explain the fact that I have made it this far in life experiencing such good health. Sure, I do some things that probably help. I exercise, and being vegan is shown to improve lots of health outcomes. But life is extremely random and you never, ever know what is coming next. Cue a global pandemic.  

One thing I developed this year was a tremendous sense of gratitude for my health. I had started to take for granted that my body could do nearly anything I asked of it. To be clear, I would never ask it to run a marathon (or 5k for that matter) or jump into a frozen pond... I know my limits. But we humans acclimate quickly to the status quo, and I long ago stopped thinking my body was incredible. I forgot how fortunate I was, and that it may not always be that way. So, I wish to carry with my renewed gratitude for my health with me into 2021. 

Reading more

I started 2020 with a modest goal to read 25 books and finished the year with 40 titles under my belt. All that extra time at home helped, and I also got into listening to books on tape and challenged myself to try out all kinds of new-to-me genres (sci-fi and graphic novels especially). I also hopped back on Good Reads and have enjoyed getting recommendations from friends old and new. The rekindled interest in reading and exploring different worlds/perspectives/experiences was one of the highlights of the year for me, and a habit I plan to continue into 2021 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment