Saturday, March 5, 2011

Weekend Cinema

If you're looking for something fun to do this weekend, I highly recommend going to your local independent cinema to see this year's Oscar shorts nominees. Last night my boyfriend and I braved the frigid temps to see the animated shorts at a local Landmark theater (they have vegan cookies at the concession stand!). I had no idea what we were in for but it seemed like something different to do, and I'm so glad we went. Each short (they ranged from 6 to 27 minutes in length) had a completely different animation style, pace, storyline (they're not all "kids movies" as some might mistakenly think) and feel.

Bonus - If you're like me and didn't see any of the Oscars and have no idea who won, you can debate which film you thought was best without any outside factors influencing your pick. I won't ruin the surprise for you, but it turns out my favorite was the winner. The cool thing about seeing these shorts is that there's no media frenzy surrounding them, and since you probably haven't seen trailers for any of them you have no idea what's coming next! It's a totally different theater experience. Also great for people with somewhat short attention spans who find themselves a little distracted by the time "feature" length films get started.

Here's a few shots from this year's nominees to whet your appetite...



No comments:

Post a Comment