Monday, September 14, 2009

Synchro!

Photo of Esther Williams via Encyclopedia Britannica

I took the plunge tonight - into my very first synchronized swimming class. Reflections? Incredibly fun, challenging, and I have a feeling I am going to be very sore tomorrow (scratch that, I'm already feeling it). Let me expand on that challenging comment for a moment, though.

To the casual observer, synchro may seem like a rather unassuming and civilized sport for the delicate lady - yet to anyone who saw my attempt at "backward sculling" my "sailboat" across the local YMCA pool this evening, underwater housecat wrestling would have been a more accurate description. Really, until you have given it a shot you too may underestimate how difficult it is to look so at ease, never-mind stay afloat, in those unnatural positions.

As tricky a practice as it may be, I cannot wait for my next class. It's a super way to build strength and cardio capacity while honing in your coordination, balance, and focus abilities. Synchro is also unique because - like other water sports - it is virtually no-impact; great for anybody who needs a less stressful workout. Interested in learning more? Check out the United States Synchronized Swimming page and the Wikipedia Synchro page for more sport information.


1 comment: